[OS X TeX] Equation Services-Illustrator

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu May 23 08:33:46 EDT 2002

Thanks. The WaRMreader macros seem to be the consistent answer.
\begin{bitch} I don't understand how Acrobat Reader has no problem with
this, then you pay mucho money for a code that doesn't!\end{bitch} The
Create Outlines didn't work for me at all. Not with the PDF file that
already had math/greek characters, and not when I tried to add them with
the Equation Service. \begin{bitch}This seems like it shouldn't be such
a big deal. Don't the people at Adobe get paid to make these things
work?\end{bitch} This would be such a nice fast-to-use method if it
worked.
On Thursday, May 23, 2002, at 06:35  AM, Ross Moore wrote:

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>> A simple solution is to outline the characters in Illustrator:
>>
>>        Select -> All, Type -> Create Outlines
>>
>> So, the eps file doesn't use any font.
>
> That's true, but usually you get lousy output when your PDF is viewed
> with Acrobat Reader, since there is no anti-aliasing, or hinting
> for how to best render these outlined shapes, the way there would be
> with a proper Type1 font.
>

>>> I've been trying to use equation services to put equations in
>>> Illustrator graphics, but greek characters don't show up. I have
>
> There are a variety of reasons for this, all related to the character's
> position in TeX-encoded fonts, and decisions taken by Adobe to pay
> too much attention to the character's numbered location in a font,
> rather than the glyph names.
>
>>> installed the computer modern fonts (Alberto Arabia's) in
>>> /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts, as well in the
>>> Library/Fonts directories. Has anyone else had success with this?
>>> Acrobat Reader has no problem seeing those characters in a PDF that
>>> I created with metapost, but Illustrator can't see them there
>>> either. If I save the file after Illustrator deals with it, the
>>> fonts are gone.
> That will be Illustrator leaving out what it thinks is a mal-formed
> font.
>
> This kind of bad font behaviour has been in Illustrator for a long time.
> The need to side-step this was one of the major reasons for developing
> the WaRMreader macros, based upon Xy-pic, and the Marked-Objects plug-in
> to Illustrator.  (see  http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/WARM/ )
>

> If you would like to make a bug-report, by writing a short summary of
> what is going wrong, so far as you can tell, and supply an example,
> then go to:   http://www.tug.org/twg/tfaa/

 From what I'm hearing, I'm not encountering anything that anyone else
isn't, so isn't that just harassment?
Thanks,
Joe

> Another possibility is to use a non-TeX encoded Greek font.
> At CTAN archives (e.g. go to  http://ctan.tug.org/search/ )
> you can find   The Kerkis Font Family   for use with TeX.
>
> Here's a few paragraphs from the README:
>

>                  The Kerkis Font Family
>                --------------------------
>
> The kerkis Font Family (the name is after the tallest mountain
> of the Aegean Sea located on the island of Samos) is the first
> font in Type1 format with full support for LaTeX and Polytonic Greek!
>
> It is an extension of the Bookman Old Style fonts. Additional characters
> are provided not only for Greek but for latin too (like many standard
> ligatures missing for URWBookman, true Small Caps etc).
>
> Polytonic Greek is supported only for the Roman font for now. We have
> plans
> though to extend it to the rest shapes/series.
>

> Of course the problem with this approach is that the character shapes
> will not match what is used in equations, elsewhere in your TeX
> document.
> (That brings us back to the WaRMreader solution.)
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> 	Ross Moore
>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe
>>
>> --
>> *******************************
>> *  Agust_n Valverde Ramos
>> *  Dept. Matem_tica Aplicada
>> *  E.T.S. de Ingenier_a Inform_tica
>> *  Universidad de M_laga
>> *  Campus de Teatinos
>> *  29071 M_laga (Espa_a)
>> *  ---------------------------------
>> *  Tel:  (+34)  952132878
>> *  Fax: (+34)  952132746
>> *  mailto:a_valverde at ctima.uma.es
>> *  http://www.AgustinValverde.com
>> *  ---------------------------------
>> *  Soy miembro de GIMAC:
>> *  "Grupo de Investigaci_n
>> *  en Matem_tica Aplicada para la Computaci_n"
>> *  http://batllo.informatica.uma.es/aciego/gimac-home.html
>> *
>> *  I am member of GIMAC:
>> *  "Research Group in Applied Mathematics for
>> *  Computer Science"
>> *  http://batllo.informatica.uma.es/aciego/gimac-home-eng.html
>> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.

Joseph C. Slater, PhD, PE
Associate Professor
Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engg, Wright State University,
3640 Colonel Glenn Highway, Dayton, OH 45435
Phone: (+1) 937-775-5040, Fax: (+1) 937-775-5009,
http://www.engineering.wright.edu/~jslater
vcard: http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater/Joseph%20C.%20Slater.vcf

"help" (no quotes) in the body.