[OS X TeX] Concatenate PDF files?

Warren Nagourney warren at dirac.phys.washington.edu
Wed May 22 15:12:23 EDT 2002

Thanks, Frank. This works fine, though I managed to crash the computer when
viewing the result with Preview. Unfortunately, some of the fonts were
missing (leading to corrupted pages and probably the source of Acrobat's
complaints) and, when I was scrolling through the document in Preview, the
display server crashed, which I consider a crash even though the kernel
didn't crash. There are lots of problems with Apples pdf-viewing
frameworks. This is not, of course, a texexec problem.

Thanks for the correction (I should have continued to read the messages
before trying out texexec.)

-Warren Nagourney

--On Wednesday, May 22, 2002 2:59 PM -0400 Frank Ernst <fxe5 at po.cwru.edu>
wrote:

> Warren,
>
> The correct command is
>
> texexec --pdfarrange --result all.pdf  file1.pdf file2.pdf file3.pdf
>
> (I corrected this in a message immediately after the one you included)
>
> Frank
>
>> From: Warren Nagourney <warren at dirac.phys.washington.edu>
>> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:47:46 -0700
>> Ernst <fxe5 at po.cwru.edu>
>> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Concatenate PDF files?
>>
>> Actually, I am the one one whose behalf the question was originally posed
>> (thanks, Chuck) and I have tried Acrobat but find it to be a very bad
>> port of a difficult-to-use (in my opinion) windows program. I gave up on
>> Acrobat after getting cryptic error messages about "font subsets are
>> same" or something like this. I also tried texexec and found some *very*
>> serious problems with it: problems which result in data loss!
>>
>> I ran "texexec --result all.pdf  `ls *.pdf`" and found that the script
>> didn't recognize any of the .pdf files in the directory: it would say "I
>> can't find file xxxx.pdf" (leaving aside the paradox in that statement:
>> how can it specify the filename and then be unable to find it!?!?).
>>
>> It *was* (unfortunately) able to delete the files! After responding with
>> ^D to all of the script's complaints, I found that none of my pdf files
>> were left in the directory - they were all deleted! Fortunately, they
>> were all generated using TeXshop, so I was able to regenerate them.
>>
>> There is something horribly wrong with the texexec script and I recommend
>> that no one use it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Warren Nagourney
>>
>> --On Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:22 AM -0400 Frank Ernst

>>> To concatenate file1.pdf, file2.pdf, file3.pdf etc into a single file
>>> all.pdf you can use the command
>>>
>>> texexec --result all.pdf  file1.pdf file2.pdf file3.pdf
>>>
>>> To concatenate all pdf files in a directory pdfdir into a single file
>>> all.pdf (in alphabetic order) you can use
>>>
>>> texexec --result all.pdf  `ls *.pdf`
>>>
>>> For further details try
>>>
>>> texexec --help
>>>
>>> Frank Ernst

>>> Frank Ernst
>>> Department of Materials Science and Engineering
>>> 414 White Building
>>> Case Western Reserve University
>>> 10900 Euclid Avenue
>>> Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7204