[OS X TeX] Wish list for BBEdit

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 19 10:36:37 EST 2002

On 11/19/02 7:24 AM, "Holger Frauenrath" <mail at frauenrath.com> wrote:

> - Better syntax coloring. First of all, I think, a unique place for
> setting syntax coloring (right now, it is under the preferences and
> under the TeX mode menu). I think this would be good for all other
> modes, too, for that matter. As for the coloring itself: coloring of
> strings in inline math modes (between $ and others). I guess that some
> people would also like to have other mathematical environments in
> general completely colored, I think. Coloring of brackets. Different
> coloring of all sectioning commands.

Howdy,

There is a TeX Tool that came with BBEdit 6.5 and later that will turn on
syntax coloring for in-line math. Certainly not everything and not very
sophisticated.

> - A menu and a palette to insert TeX Commands similar to their HTML
> menu and HTML palette. It would be nice to have some sort of
> intelligent insertion (like placing the cursor in the brackets of a
> \command{} etc.), and configurable keyboard shortcuts.
>
> - A mechanism similar to "close current tag" that would for example
> insert \end{current_environment} to the current environment.

Try the LaTeX Glossary by Gianluca Gorni found on the BareBones site. It has
almost all the LaTeX commands as glossary entries (which can be edited,
since they are simple text files, and assigned to keys - I use control key
combinations). Glossary entries can have embedded commands for placing the
selection, placing the cursor, etc.

<http://www.barebones.com/support/bbedit/bbedit-glossaries.html>

The only thing I really wish BBEdit had was command completion so I could
make extensible commands rather than special keystrokes for each command I
use often.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)