[OS X TeX] Jaguar and TeXShop/teTeX - safe?

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Wed Nov 6 12:53:23 EST 2002

I was in exactly the same position ( I even asked the same question in
this group). I delayed upgrade for the same reason until about two
weeks ago. Here is my experience after the upgrade:

1) The upgrade was very easy. I did not have to re-install applications
or fonts. After the upgarde, my previous tetex/texshop installation was
fully functional. This was great relief as I had spent hours backing up
everything fearing I might have to re-install my applications.

2) I noticed the reported slowdown in texshop with color syntax on but
not to the point that I could use texshop. It was not as bad as I had
assumed. The severity of the slowdown is related to the processor
speed. I have a G3 iMac, 700  MHz, 356 RAM. With syntax coloring on,
the typing speed is a bit slow but not incapacitating. With a large
document (~20 printed pages), though, it can take several seconds
before colored syntax is applied to the whole document (you can see the
color wave moving down).

3) After I noticed the slowdown in texshop I downloaded and installed
version 1.2. This version is also slow in coloring but I can't say I
noticed much of a difference compared to the previous version.

4) I have not updated to the newest tetex. The previous installation
works fine.

5) Printer support is much better. Before Jaguar I could not access
special printer features such as duplex printing, staples, etc. Now I
can.

6) Jaguar runs noticeably smoother than OS X 10.1. Before the upgrade I
was very concerned that Jaguar might be too slow for my processor (you
know how  it works: you by computer, you upgrade system, you need new
computer to run the new system, and so on). Windows open faster,
animation is smoother, there is finally a keyboard shortcut for "hide
others" (only in the finder, unfortunately).

7) All my applications run but some misbehave (eg Mathematica).

Themis Matsoukas