[OS X TeX] Simple font problem

Axel E. Retif axretif at att.net.mx
Tue Nov 5 05:25:08 EST 2002

On Monday, Nov 4, 2002, at 06:56 America/Mexico_City, Bruno Voisin
wrote:

> Le lundi, 4 nov 2002, à 13:43 Europe/Paris, Œistein ANDERSEN a écrit :
>
>> I apologize if this problem has already been treated, but I hope
>> someone will be able to see what is going on.
>>
>> After an attempt to use a PostScript font, consisting of copying
>> psfonts.map to my home directory as well as running updmap and
>> texhash, pdftex is not any longer able to find any font, giving error
>> messsages à la “Warning: /sw/bin/pdflatex (file cmr10): Font cmr10 at
>> 600 not found”. The problem persists after having removed the copied
>> psfonts.map.
>>
>> Any idea is appreciated.
>
> The reference to the /sw directory seems to indicate that you have
> Fink installed. This is known to have created problems with Gerben
> Wierda's teTeX in the past. Maybe it still does. As I don't have Fink,
> I cannot say more.
>
> Bruno Voisin

I think the Fink project is really great, but Gerben Wierda's
distribution of TeX is by far the best for Mac OS X.

If you want to use Wierda's distribution, I suggest you uninstall
Fink's TeX packages. It is very easy if you use the Fink Commander,
which you can find at http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
-->Engines-->Fink-->Fink Commander.

(If you have packages like Lyx or TeXmacs, you will have to uninstall
these before, because of the dependencies of these and other packages
to TeX. But it is better to start at the root, that is ---to try to
uninstall TeX first, then Fink will tell you which packages depend on
TeX.)

Another advantage of Wierda's distribution is that with Fink you have
to install by pieces ---for example, tetex-texmf, tetex-macosx, pdftex,
pdfslide, pdfscreen, ghostscript, etc.; whereas with Wierda's
distribution you can download his TeX-fat.dmg and it will install
everything you need, and then with his i-installer you can install
other software as well as keep up-to-date the main TeX distribution.

If ---again, *if*--- you want to install Wierda's distribution, follow
his instructions as to where you should install your personal files in
your Home directory.

Axel