[OS X TeX] installing .cls and .sty for all users

Michael Betsch Michael.Betsch at uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Nov 24 11:46:44 EST 2002

>Hi List!
>
>What is the best path to install class and style files to? I am
>using several Mac OS X.2 Macs that have different users each, and
>all should be able to use all classes and styles. Will they be able
>to use the files I install in the ~/Library/texmf folder when I am
>logged in as an admin (not root) user?
>Do I have to chmod the folders and files in order to be able to use
>them? I remember reading about something like that, but cannot
>remember where..

Assuming you are using G. Wierda's teTeX, then  LaTeX style and class
files that should be available to all users on this computer go into
the following directory:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex
make some subdirectory there and copy your files into that
subdirectory (as root or via "sudo"). Then make sure the new files
are readable by anyone and register the new files by the command
"sudo texhash".
Making your ~/Library/texmf folder accessible to anyone is no good
solution because other users would not find them (they would have to
modify their TeX search paths first).

Michael Betsch