[OS X TeX] footnote with asterisk

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Nov 24 21:13:13 EST 2002

On 11/24/02 7:43 PM, "Kentaro Nakatani" <knakatan at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> I'm sorry that this topic is not necessarily related to Mac OS X,
> but I have a question for which I can't find an answer.
> In a paper, it is common to have the first footnote containing
> acknowledgments marked with an asterisk...but how can
> I do it in LaTeX?  Lamport book says in using \footnote[num]{text},
> num should be a positive integer, 'even when footnotes are
> "numbered" with letters or other symbols'.  But I don't see
> how to number the footnotes with letters or symbols.
> My best guess is, this could be achieved by "\fnsymbol{footnote}"
> command...but it seems this command only produces symbols,
> rather than replacing the footnote counters.
>
> So when I tried a command like this:
> =============
> \LARGE
> \textbf{Title of the Paper \fnsymbol{footnote}\footnote{
> \fnsymbol{footnote}
> I'm indebted to blah blah blah.}}
> =============
> there were regular footnote counters AND asterisks at the same time.
> If I use \footnotetext instead of \footnote, there will still be an
> unwanted
> numerical counter remaining.
>
> Could anybody help me with this problem?
> Thank you.
>
> -Ken N.

Use: \renewcommand\thefootnote{\fnsymbol{footnote}} before the \maketitle,
or whatever you use to make the title.

Then, use the same substituting \roman for \fnsymbol and also
\addtocounter{footnote}{-1} after the \maketitle to go back to roman
numerals and restart with footnote number 1.

Hopefully I've got this correct.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)