[OS X TeX] i-Installer Release Candidate 3d (update protocol, command line tool)

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Tue Nov 5 06:39:49 EST 2002

There is a new i-Installer, release candidate 3d.

	- A small bug when opening a remote package that is at that exact
moment being updated has been fixed (the warning sheet came up without
a window being present). I have also implemented the update protocol
locally. so that removes a possible problem with opening and reading
remote information while it is changing.

	- This version contains a small utility for unix-geeks (the GUI
frontend will follow later), called checkii2status. It can be found in
the Resources subdirectory of the application wrapper. It gets package
filenames (on the local disk) as arguments and will check each of them
against their remote location and report if they are not equal. E.g.:

% ls -l ~/Documents | grep ii2
drwxr-xr-x   6 gerben  staff     204 Nov  4 13:13 autotrace.ii2
drwxr-xr-x  12 gerben  staff     408 Oct 29 10:13 ghostscript-6.ii2
drwxr-xr-x  14 gerben  staff     476 Nov  1 13:39 ghostscript-7.ii2
drwxr-xr-x   7 gerben  staff     238 Oct 29 16:19 latex2rtf.ii2
drwxr-xr-x   5 gerben  staff     170 Nov  5 11:45 pfaedit.ii2
drwxr-xr-x  16 gerben  staff     544 Nov  3 16:00 texbinaries.ii2
drwxr-xr-x  12 gerben  staff     408 Oct 29 16:18 texconfigure.ii2
drwxr-xr-x  14 gerben  staff     476 Nov  4 17:12 texmf.ii2

%
/Applications/Utilities/i-Installer.app/Contents/Resources/
checkii2status ~/Documents/*.ii2
There is a newer version available for ~/Documents/ ghostscript-6.ii2
There is a newer version available for ~/Documents/ latex2rtf.ii2
The remote location for ~/Documents/ pfaedit.ii2 is currently being
updated
There is a newer version available for ~/Documents/ texbinaries.ii2
There is a newer version available for ~/Documents/ texconfigure.ii2

This utility can be used in a crontab setting to check for new versions
of existing packages on disk on a regular basis without having to start
i-installer. I still have to decide how to implement the setting of
this and the tool may change, but since it is very useful, I am already
including it now. I will not implement fattening (though I might when I
release i-Installer v2.1) and almost certainly not installation with
the command line tool.