TeXShop and BBEdit (was Re: [OS X TeX] BBEdit 7.0)

Jeff Collins vze22kt4 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 14 11:14:56 EST 2002

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:11:21 -0500, tozsu at sympatico.ca wrote:

>> Then you can have the file open in BBEdit and work on it and
>> switch to TeXShop compile, switch back to BBEdit to edit etc.
>>

>I am having problems getting this to work. I have configured TexShop to work
>with an external editor. I open a .tex file in BBEdit and edit it. When I
>switch to TeXShop window, it brings up an empty page

I have noticed this as well.  I think it's a bug in TeXShop.  The
workaround is to (1) re-typeset the document, (2) close the preview
window in TeXShop, and then (3) re-open the .tex document by dragging it
onto the TeXShop icon (in the dock).

>I wish BBEdit would have the possibility of integration with Latex systems
>the way Alpha had in OS9. Short of that, I wish there was a script to do all
>of this from within BBEdit.

I've seen a couple people mention something similar on the list.  I'm not
sure I understand what the difficulty is. You just press the key
combination to change to TeXShop (cmd-tab) and then press the key
combination to typeset the document (cmd-shift-L, if you're using LaTeX).
 I know in Alpha you just had to hit cmd-T, but it seems like one more
key stroke isn't too big a deal. Am I missing something?

cheers,
Jeff