[OS X TeX] Problem with cmex7-9 in teTeX

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sun Oct 27 13:42:08 EST 2002

cmex7-9 are extra AMS fonts, now part of standard LaTeX, but absent
from the free PS version of the fonts. teTeX was normally set to scale
the neighbouring size cmex10, available in PS format. This has changed
recently, a new free PS version of cmex7-9 is used instead, and it
should still work. It doesn't. I'm not sure why.

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/bluesky/bsr-interpolated.map, dated
1 August 2002, says:

	% The bsr fonts don't cover the whole AMS set. This map file tells
	% pdftex/dvips to fill the gaps by using the closest available size.
	%
	% cmex fonts are no longer scaled by this file; instead, ttcmex.map is
	% used in teTeX (using Type1 fonts from TeXTrace2001).

and indeed /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/tetex/ttcmex.map, dated 1
August 2002, says:

	% Support for cmex fonts from TeXTrace project. Type1 files are taken
	% from CTAN:fonts/ps-type1/ec.
	%
	% (C) Thomas Esser, 2002, public domain.
	%
	cmex7 TeX-cmex7 <fmex7.pfb
	cmex8 TeX-cmex8 <fmex8.pfb
	cmex9 TeX-cmex9 <fmex9.pfb

so that /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config/psfonts_t1.map, dated
1 September 2002, contains:

	cmex7 TeX-cmex7 <fmex7.pfb
	cmex8 TeX-cmex8 <fmex8.pfb
	cmex9 TeX-cmex9 <fmex9.pfb

The fonts do exist, they are in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/public/tt2001/.

However things do not work (bitmapped fonts are used). I verified that
the map file actually used (generated by updmap)
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/dvips/config/psfonts_t1.map (in
teTeX/share/texmf.local/ instead of teTeX/share/texmf/) does not
contain anything about cmex9 etc.

I thought this might be caused by a conflict with another, older,
version of bsr-interpolated.map still present in the system,
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config/bsr-interpolated.map, dated
23 November 1999. But this version contains:

	cmex7 CMEX10 <cmex10.pfb
	cmex8 CMEX10 <cmex10.pfb
	cmex9 CMEX10 <cmex10.pfb

so things should still work. I'm lost. In any case running from
Terminal.app:

sudo updmap --enable Map ttcmex.map

does work, I get nice-looking brackets in the PDF file I'm writing.

Bruno Voisin