[OS X TeX] i-Installer & Jaguar (10.2) Trivial Fix

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue Oct 8 02:04:01 EDT 2002

About ":" versus "/" as path separator: it is all the more unfortunate
as "/" is the traditional separator for dates in French, and maybe in
other languages, of the form dd/mm/yyyy (today = 08/10/2002). I have a
lot of stored correspondance on my disk, dating back to my pre-OS X
days, made of files with names recipient-dd/mm/yyyy.tex. With some
applications I can still work with these files, with others I have to
rename them. I have also noticed that some OS X applications don't allow
the use of either ":" or "/" (one of the two, I don't remember which
one) in the Save window, these are converted to "-" as you type them.

I have also failed to burn CDs with my mail files (from Eudora, Pine,
Netscape, Mail.app) -- the failure in the form of a cryptic error
message (error -6 or something like this) at the end of the burning
process (which took about one hour, speed X 2) -- and I suspect the
failure was due to such file name problems.

Bruno Voisin