[OS X TeX] .tex documents automatically "linked" with Excalibur, not TeXShop

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sat Sep 21 08:41:25 EDT 2002

Has anybody encountered this problem: now and then all .tex files are
suddenly considered by the Finder as Excalibur files (judging by their
icon, and the information displayed in the Show Info window for them).
This is all the more annoying as I installed Excalibur on my disk just
in case, but I generally do spell checking by hand without using the
computer and I have never opened Excalibur on purpose so far.

It wasn't so much of a nuisance as I just had to open a Show Info
window for any .tex file, go to "Open with...", select TeXShop and then
"Modify all...". But now under OS 10.2.1 it's no longer working: in the
Show Info window, when I select "Open with..." TeXShop just for the
current file it's OK, but as soon as I click on "Modify all..." the
selection goes back to Excalibur.

I have the impression this problem manifests itself only for files with
empty Creator and/or Type fields, for example:

[legimc11:~] applcom% /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo
/Users/applcom/Library/texmf/tex/cupplain/uplain.tex
file: "/Users/applcom/Library/texmf/tex/cupplain/uplain.tex"
type: ""
creator: ""
attributes: avbstclInmed
created: 05/23/2000 11:25:37