[OS X TeX] Re: Untimely demise of Alpha8

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Thu Sep 12 18:53:04 EDT 2002

At 10:17 PM +0200 9/12/02, Dominique Dhumieres wrote:

>The TclAE library is not encoded for macRoman and bug 548 striked again
>("tclAE::build::TEXT howdy" doesn't put the curly quotes around howdy).

Hmmm... The TclAE library is pointedly /not/ encoded for macRoman
because UTF8 is the only way I could /get/ it to put the curly quotes
around howdy. Encodings are not my thing, though, and I wish our dear
President would get on with the business of conquering the rest of
the world so that encodings would no longer be necessary. Everyone
could then use the same 17 characters that he can remember and we'd
all be happy.

Daniel, who knows vastly more about this whole encoding nonsense than
I agrees that what I did is wrong, so we'll get a release out ASAP.

>Is Textures
>a deprecated feature or is ther any hope to see the bug fixed?

Textures isn't deprecated, per se, but I don't use it and apparently
nobody else is working on its integration with Alpha. Assuming we can
correct the encoding problems you are seeing (and assuming that those
are not in fact the source of Textures' difficulties), I'm confident
that the Textures problems lie in AlphaTcl (I use TclAE for some
considerably more demanding tasks and it works fine), so while I'm
not saying that I won't fix it, I have higher priorities and it's
more likely to be fixed sooner by someone who both actively uses
Textures and is savvy in Tcl [ *hint* *hint* Dominique 8^) ].

--

   Jonathan E. Guyer
   <http://www.his.com/jguyer/>