[OS X TeX] Text goes beyond column boundaries

Cyril Niklaus cynik at gmx.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 01:36:13 EDT 2002

On Lundi, sep 30, 2002, at 13:29 Asia/Tokyo, Bob Kerstetter wrote:

> Being fairly newly to this, here is a puzzle beyond my knowledge. I am
> just messing around learning how to use TeX and LaTex using teTex and
> TeXShop. Using the Latex template, I added \twocolumns and a bunch of
> text copied from another document. The first three paragraphs all have
> lines than go beyond the column boundary. The paragraphs that don't
> overflow the boundary look very nice, but I thought TeX was supposed
> to control this stuff automatically. What am I missing here? I assume
> it's something I don't know and not a TeX problem.
Well I don't kow what went wrong with your attempt, but usually there's
two ways to get the text in columns:
one is to use in the preamble the option twoculumn, the other is to use
\twocolumn in the body of the text, which will start a new page and
typeset in 2 columns. Notice there is no "s" in the tag.
Hope this gets you the desired results,
Cheers
Cyril