[OS X TeX] LaTeX macro question

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Aug 1 07:03:04 EDT 2004

Le 31 juil. 04, à 23:12, Thomas A.Schmitz a écrit :

> I was trying to write a very simple LaTeX package that would help me
> typeset some parts of my document in a special font: \Mf{blah} should
> be set in a special symbol font. So I had to define the command \Mf. I
> succeeded with some low-level TeX-stuff:
>
> \def\Mf#1{%
>   \begingroup
>     \fontfamily{newfont}\selectfont#1%
>     \endgroup
> }

You could try simply:

\DeclareTextFontCommand{\Mf}{\fontfamily{newfont}\selectfont}

The syntax of this command is described (though not very explicitly) in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/base/fntguide.dvi, p. 9.

If you plan to write long fragments of text in that special font, you
might also want to define a new environment. I don't have the LaTeX
manual at hand, and don't remember whether the \begingroup \endgroup
commands are added automatically by \newenvironment; otherwise,

\newenvironment{myfont}%
   {\begingroup\fontfamily{newfont}\selectfont}%
   {\endgroup}

could do the job.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin