[OS X TeX] Lucida Bright and other fonts in Illustrator

David Oliver daoliver at swva.net
Wed Aug 4 22:57:23 EDT 2004

> If anybody else has any different approaches to try, I'd be grateful to
> know about them. Otherwise, it is off to using WarmReader.
> --cheers, Gordon

I quote here my post on March 14, 2004:

Subject: 	TeX created legends in Illustrator: discoveries and
alternatives

Those who use Adobe Illustraor for creating illustrations have been
frustrated by Illustrator10's font encoding handicaps which causes it
to replace the fonts in imported pdf legends created by pdflatex. One
way of avoiding this is with the Marked Objects plug in in association
with WARM reader. Gary Gray et. al. have created a script
(WARMFigToPDF) that somewhat automates this process, but many steps are
involved and it is not WYSIWYG.

I have discovered that IllustratorCS (the Illustrator component of
Adobe's Creative Suite) will faithfully import pdflatex created pdf
legends (or any TeX created pdf objects) if they are maintained as
links, but the fonts are replaced if the legend files are embedded.
Such pdfs are obviously not editable in Illustrator.

I have also discovered that Adobe InDesign will import TeX created pdfs
faithfully in all respects, linked or embedded. This means one can use
InDesign as a compositing tool. The illustrations can be prepared in
Illustrator and imported into InDesign. Then the legends can be added
by either using the Place tool or by dragging and dropping from the TeX
created pdf. If one does this in TeXShop, one can create several
legends in a single TeX pdf, then use the preview selection tool, pluck
them out one by one and drop them into the InDesign document. These
legends are manipulable (but not editable) by all the InDesign tools
(rotation, scale, gradient, etc---and transparency for greying although
this is probably more properly done in the creation process). The
process is entirely WYSIWYG and quite efficient. I far prefer precisely
placing legends with the arrow keys rather than re-compiling commands
in a TeX document in cycles of tweaking. The completed InDesign
document can then be exported as pdf.

David Oliver

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>