[OS X TeX] TeXShop holds files open

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Wed Aug 4 12:39:12 EDT 2004

On Aug 1, 2004, at 22:05, Ronald Bruck wrote:

> Does anybody else notice this behavior?  It's driving me crazy!
>
> Once TeXShop has gotten hold of a file, it doesn't let go.  When I
> throw away a log file, close
> all the open files in the program, and then later try to empty the
> trash, I can't--because TeXShop
> still has the file open.  Not to mention the source file or any of the
> other files associated with the project.

I got curious about this, so I poked around a bit (with fs_usage).  It
turns out that TeXShop actually does close the file, right after it
opens it.  Between the open and the close, however, it maps the file
(using map_fd()).  The problem may be that it never unmaps the file (at
least, when I close the file, I don't see the corresponding unmap).

You might want to report this to Richard/Dirk.  Unmapping the file
will, at least, free up pages for reuse, and perhaps improve
performance a bit.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for the Absorption of        | Some people have got a

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>