[OS X TeX] Section commands

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 10 09:06:51 EDT 2004

On 10 aug 2004, at 14:45, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2004, at 10:10 PM, George Ghio wrote:
>
>> What I want to achieve is a document with sections and sub-sections
>> that have only a titles and no numbers or perhaps chapters with with
>> just titles and no "Chapter" or "Numbers" .
>>
>> This is for a book of short stories from a writers group.
>
> You can do that with the \chapter*{} and \section*{}, etc, commands.

You'd better set the \secnumdepth and \tocdepth counters:

\setcounter{\secnumdepth}{-2} % no numbers at all, see the familiar
documentation for details
\setcounter{\tocdepth}{1}   % parts,chapters & sections are included in
the toc (book and report) or parts and sections.

Look into the Memoir class to easily format chapter headings (you don't
want to mess with just sections). If you suppress the numbers, I
believe the "chapter" is killed as well.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>