[OS X TeX] Publicon: a new technical publishing tool

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Aug 11 10:51:37 EDT 2004

On 8/11/04 9:27 AM, "Maarten Sneep" <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> They have some examples up on the web, in different formats. The
> exported LaTeX code doesn't look as bad as one might fear. the pdf
> samples shows that no hyphenation is used at all, although the maths
> typesetting is not that bad actually (certainly beats Word). the export
> of course writes everything out in longhand, instead of using custom
> commands to achieve consistency.

I did download the sample LaTeX file in .pdf and .tex and, indeed, it isn't
as ugly as I had expected. Some of the ``verbatim'' text could be cleaned up
a bit and there are extraneous paragraphs, \\, \noindent, etc., but not bad
at all.

Supposedly BibTeX data bases work with it and footnotes are properly
embedded in the LaTeX source. All very nice.

> I strongly suspect that this application was started after that
> announcement. It is certainly refreshing to see developers trying to
> create software that has a GUI, but goes beyond the limitations of pure
> visual mark-up.
>
> Maarten

And the price of 149$US isn't awful; especially when compared to what Adobe
wants of FrameMaker.

I suspect it's a bit rough around the edges but hopefully Wolfram will
smooth out those rough spots.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>