[OS X TeX] Trouble installing musixtex

Gerrit Glabbart glabbart at gmx.de
Mon Aug 30 07:22:07 EDT 2004

At 19:44 Uhr +0200 29.08.2004, delanoy at igd.univ-lyon1.fr wrote:
>    Hello all, in order to write music with TeX I've tried
>to follow the instructions on http://www.enstimac.fr/~ravaliso/musixtex/.
>The first one is :
>
>  put the .pfb files in " /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/musixtex"
>
>(that directory is actually /sw/share/texmf/fonts/type1/musixtex on my
>computer as I use fink).
>
>  The problem is that
>
>-my directory /sw/share/texmf/fonts/type1 does not contain any "musixtex"
>directory ,
>-and even worse, I am told that I cannot change anything inside that
>directory
>(I tried to create a "musixtex" file for myself)
>
>    How should I handle this ?
>
>   Ewan

I'm not exactly an expert at this, but here I go:

solution 1: use the "sudo" command in the terminal when you create
the "musixtex" directory. That gives you temporary superuser access,
which means that you can do whatever you like -- including wreak a
lot of damage. So, as the saying goes, think before you type.

solution 2 (recommended): create the musixtex inside your home
folder, preferably here:
~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/musixtex. Create all the necessary
folders "in between", too.
The advantage is that you don't have to mess with Fink's TeX
installation (or Gerben's, should you ever want to switch), so you
can update, wipe, or re-install the TeX installation whenever you
like. The (only, as far as I can see) disadvantage is that you have
to do this for every user that wants to use musixtex. But if that's
just you, that's not much of a disadvantage, is it?

Hope this helps,

Gerrit.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>