[OS X TeX] Using fonts from Word in LaTeX

Ian Barnes Ian.Barnes at anu.edu.au
Tue Aug 31 01:30:48 EDT 2004

I haven't used a Mac for about ten years (a lot has changed!), but I've
been a regular LaTeX user on various platforms for about 15 years.
Where I've just moved to, I have iMac on my desk with MS Word
installed, and inside Word I can use Garamond font.

I found a file called Garamond in /Applications/Microsoft Office
2004/Office/Fonts. The Finder says this is a "Font Suitcase". The icon
has "FFIL" on it and it says "Version: 2.35 Microsoft Typography".

What type of font is this, and how can I convert/extract it for use in
LaTeX?

I've seen a few web pages about installing Garamond for LaTeX on a Mac,
but they all start from buying it from Adobe. Call me naive, but I
don't see why I should have to pay hundreds of dollars to Adobe to buy
the font, when I already have it on my computer. I just want to use it
for typesetting rather than word processing.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>