[OS X TeX] (OT?) TeX and MacOSX (or what we should pretend from OSX applications).

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Fri Dec 3 08:51:44 EST 2004

Le 3 déc. 04, à 13:13, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> But then forget about the ability to collaborate with people, to send
> PDF files to them, to submit papers electronically. (Exactly what
> Peter Dyballa just wrote, I realize.) Doing that would, I think, just
> alianate the whole academic community to TeX, and this is precisely
> where it comes from.

Indeed. However, when working on a paper, one wants to have a system
that is quick, reads easily and is basically well integrated in the
system. When it comes to exporting/sharing documents, one can accept
the route to be a bit more circuitous.

This means that there could be a dual system:

-- one side for preparation/personal work that, a the price of
diminished compatibility, gives the user an environment that takes
advantage of the specificity of Mac OS: Quartz, bundles etc. and would
also permit things like synchronicity on a finer level than pdfsync

-- one side for exporting/sharing that goes the ``standard'' route.

The switch between both sides should be as simple as selecting an
option like ``sharing mode'' in the integrated TeX environment one
would use.
--
Frank STENGEL (stengelf<at>menara.ma)
               (fstengel<at>mac.com)