[OS X TeX] OmniOutliner 3 Beta Released.

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Mon Dec 6 04:42:04 EST 2004

Matthias Damm wrote:

>For me (I am using OO to write excerpts from
>scientific texts) there are many small changes that have made the
>workflow much easier: OO3 has a quite clever system of styles for the
>different text levels and something like "structural markup", wich make
>it quite easy to create nice systematic outlines.

Just an 0.02, but it is exactly this focus on named styles which really turned me off with OO3. (I was on the beta program from the off.) It would have been far more useful if means were introduced in OO3 which could have eased the mapping of Outline structure (not style) to to e.g. LaTeX and/or DocBook structure. (I know there are issues and limitations.) The named style approach lends itself well to exporting to e.g. Word or InDesign.

The app looks and feels very nice, the AppleScript support has improved and there is support for attaching most useful file types, so it might well be worth looking at for these, but I can't see how the styles implementation lends itself to use for preparing LaTeX snippets - IMO one would be far better off using the hierarchy of the outline to map to LaTeX structure, than trying to work with the styles.

0.02,

mark.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>