[OS X TeX] fourier behaves unexpected

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 7 12:36:13 EST 2004

On 12/7/04 10:56 AM, "Arno Kruse" <arnokruse at macnews.de> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> since I am too stupid to install the fonts I would like to use in TeX
> (I do miss Myriad and cairo!), I have resigned and tried to make the
> best of the included fonts.
> So my preambles contain
>
> \usepackage{fourier}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.875]{helvet}
> \renewcommand{\ttdefault}{lmtt},
>
> and at first this seemed to be a passable compromise.
>
> But this happens:
>
> \textbf{g)} gives an ugly output: the bracked nearly touches the "g";
> $cm^3$ gives another kind of ugly output: the spacing between "c" and
> "m" is too large.
>
> There are more unaesthetic combinations, and I get the unpleasant
> feeling that there is something wrong - but I do not know what. I am
> using OSX 10.3.6 and TeX Live 2004.
>
> arno

Howdy,

You might try adding a small amount of space with the \textbf{g\,)} bu I
have no other solution for that. For the second problem I assume you're
working with units and they should be done in an upright font,
\(\mathrm{cm}^{3}\) is better. I use units all the time so I've defined a
macro to deal with that automagically:

\newcommand{\amt}[2]{\ensuremath{#1\,\mathrm{#2}}}

Which can be used within text or math mode and has the syntax
\amt{35}{m/s^2}.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>