[OS X TeX] Textures for Mac OS X - wait for Tiger?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Dec 10 07:00:55 EST 2004

On 10 Dec 2004, at 11:43 am, Ralph Pöllath wrote:

> On 10.12.2004, at 08:42, Mark Smith wrote:
>> Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>> It's a pity, of course, we can't have a look at Tiger Beta: I
>>> received
>>> the announcement of its availability (twice), but the need to get ADC
>>> Select Membership first makes it definitely too pricy ($500!) for
>>> something that would be just a hobby.
>>
>> In case you don't know, there is an ADC Select package available for
>> (IIRC) 100 USD where you only get see software and nothing else.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think such a package exists - at least I
> couldn't find it at Apple's site. Select membership is $500, and
> student membership is $99 - but that doesn't include pre-release
> software.

I'm guessing Mark was referring to the monthly mailing subscription
	http://developer.apple.com/membership/mailing.html
which I was thinking was around $100, but it's actually $199.

This mailing is available to all ADC members (including "online", i.e.,
free membership, if you purchase it separately). However, I believe
this includes documentation, SDKs, etc., but does *not* typically
include pre-release seed software; that's a separate benefit of Select
or Premier membership. I don't think seed software is available at any
lower level of membership, unless you can get into a customer (as
opposed to developer) seeding program--but that depends on being
selected by Apple, you can't just sign up and automatically get in.

(Returning to the Textures topic, while it's true that the existing
Type 1 fonts aren't directly usable in OS X, I don't see why this
should be a major barrier to shipping a product; the fonts can be
readily and losslessly converted to OTF/CFF and all the glyphs are
accessible.)

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>