[OS X TeX] no SMALL CAPS in page headings?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Dec 18 16:40:34 EST 2004

Hendrik Chaltin wrote:

> Sorry. What I would like to do is
> to use standard mathematical notations
> inserted into plain text (written in \textrm, not \textsc)
> in my section headings
> as well as surnames in \textsc, e.g.
>
>> \section{Subgroups of $\mathfrak{S}_{n}$}
>>
>> \section{The \textsc{Coxeter} group $\pmb {((}\textsc{l},\textsc{m}  \
>>    \pmb{|   \ n,p))}$}

I'm surprised you can use \textsc in math mode without getting an error message. I would have thought of only two ways to use small caps text in math:

- Based on the information in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/base/fntguide.dvi, define a new math alphabet \mathsc. For example:

	\DeclareMathAlphabet{\mathsc}{OT1}{cmr}{m}{sc}

and then you can write for example $\mathsc{l}$.

- By loading the amsmath package and using the command \text that it defines, for example $\text{\textsc{l}}$.

>[...]
> which probably means
> that you cannot get unusual symbols into page headings,
> not even with your package.

I would rather attribute this to the use of a text command like \textsc in math mode.

> Finally, concerning \pmb :
> \pmb seems to yield the best result.
> In particular, replacing pmb by boldsymbol, boldmath or mathbf
> yields in each case a slightly different result,
> but bm = boldsymbol, at least in the above example.
> ... and moreover, with
>
>> \section{${\boldsymbol ((} \textsc{l},...
>
> (wrong syntax?)
> the first parenthesis is taller than the second (!?!).

\boldsymbol should be used as $\boldsymbol{((}$ (it's a command taking an argument, not a declaration like \boldmath). In your case, in ${\boldsymbol ((}$, the braces { and } are ignored, the first "l" is interpreted as the argument of \boldsymbol and the second "(" isn't affected.

In any case the command \boldsymbol, as defined by the amsmath package, is deprecated, and the AMS recommands now using the standard package bm defining the command \bm to be used as $\bm{((}$. See /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/tools/bm.dvi. If my memory is correct, \bm switches automatically to poor man's bold in case no matching bold face exists.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>