[OS X TeX] Bug in latest pdfTeX (and/or teTeX) with respect to \magnification?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Dec 20 04:26:06 EST 2004

Hello,

I've just noticed something odd, when typesetting a letter in plain TeX
for a change:

- The setup is TL2004, installed via i-Installer with A4 selected as
the default paper size.

- When \magnification is not altered, in pdfTeX the paper size is A4 as
it should.

- When \magnification is changed (for example
\magnification=\magstep1), the page size (ie the width and height of
text) remains A4 but the paper size (ie the size of the physcal sheet
of paper) is affected by the magnification.

It seems that in TL2004 the file pdftex.cfg has vanished and is
replaced by
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex,
which contains all the proper settings:

	\pdfpagewidth=594.99 true bp
	\pdfpageheight=841.99 true bp
	\pdfhorigin=1 true in
	\pdfvorigin=1 true in

- When this file is not read, the above result is obtained.

- When this file is explicitly read (by \input pdftexconfig) after
setting the magnification, namely:

	\magnification=\magstep1
	\input pdftexconfig

then the paper size is brought back to A4 as it should.

- When this file is read before setting the magnification, namely:

	\input pdftexconfig
	\magnification=\magstep1

then an error is produced:

	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/
pdftexconfig.tex)
	! Incompatible magnification (1200);
	 the previous value will be retained (1000).
	\m at g ->\mag \count@ \hsize 6.5true
	                                  in\vsize 8.9truein\dimen \footins
8truein
	<to be read again>
	                   \relax
	l.3 \magnification=\magstep1

Is there something obvious I've done wrong? Or is this a bug in pdfTeX?

I've verified the same occurs with
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/plain/base/story.tex, thus it
doesn't seem specific to my TeX input file.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>