[OS X TeX] Emacs compilation time

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 08:25:48 EST 2004

A question in case there are emacs people listening here: what's the
order-of-magnitude normal compilation time for emacs? It's been about
14 hours that I've launched the compilation of GNU emacs on my
PowerBook G4 (1 GHz, 512 MB RAM), using the DarwinPorts infrastructure
and the instruction:

	sudo port install emacs +carbon

which means essentially
(<http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/darwinports/dports/editors/emacs/
Portfile>) picking up a CVS GNU emacs and compiling it with options
"--with-carbon
--enable-carbon-app=${destroot}/Applications/DarwinPorts". I've
verified with "top" than things are actually happening, in the
beginning "bootstrap" was busy and now I can see that "Rez" has been
running for about 5 hours, taking about 80% CPU.

Please be kind, this is practically my first compilation, I cannot
pretend to really understand what's happening.

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>