[OS X TeX] improving the tex typesetting script?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 21 14:23:45 EST 2004

On 21 dec 2004, at 20:04, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2004, at 12:42 AM, William F. Adams wrote:
>
>> In a nutshell, I didn't typeset a document quite enough times and
>> wound up w/ a chapter which didn't have fully up-dated reference #s
>> to Sections --- if the typesetting script were set up to call latex 3
>> times that wouldn't've been possible --- if the first two calls were
>> to only make a .dvi the performance hit shouldn't be _too_ excessive
>> I'd hope.
>>
>> Anyway, just a thought for discussion.
>
> It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but not incurring any appreciable
> performance hit would be the key for me. That is, I shouldn't notice
> it. I have used LaTeX so long, and I am paranoid enough, that I will
> typeset stuff four times just to be sure. :-)

I use a slightly different trick for speeding things up: the first few
runs (two, three) are started with:
pdflatex '\PassOptionToClass{draft}{graphics}' file
which prevents the graphics package (and therefore graphicx as well) to
actually include the graphics files in pdflatex. Since I mostly use
metapost figures, this speeds up the compilation considerably -- there
are possibly other packages that can benefit from having a draft option
thrown at them.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>