[OS X TeX] Looking for inline mpost example

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sat Dec 25 01:06:24 EST 2004

On 25 Dec 2004, at 5:38 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> The Metafun manual (from the pragma-ade website) has some pointers to
> packages that do this as well. Be aware though that your document now
> becomes a multi-stage rocket: Compile latex, write out metapost
> sources, call metapost, call latex once more to include the compiled
> metapost (and write out any changes in the metapost code). There are
> constructs conceivable that would require several more stages.

Would it be conceivable for a TeX-variant to be able to perform this on
the fly? That is, just as the metapost code is reached in the
typesetting stage, this TeX-like program would fire off mpost to
compile the drawing if it weren't already available then continue with
the typesetting once the image was available?

In fact, wouldn't that be possible now with \iffileexists and \write18?
(I haven't touched this stuff before, so I have no real idea, though.)

(Of course, you'd need to have --shell-escape enabled.)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>