[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package released

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Dec 28 18:13:38 EST 2004

I'm seeing massive problems here. I used TeX Live 2004 for quite some
time now and, after some initial problems, had it running flawlessly.
After making  the newest updates my fonts are screwed up: I get the
following error in all kind of variants:

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file /User
s/simi/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/garste/pegr8a.pfb): character
235 is map
ped to .notdef

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file /User
s/simi/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/garste/pegr8a.pfb): character
246 is map
ped to .notdef

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file /User
s/simi/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/garste/pegr8a.pfb): character
252 is map
ped to .notdef

My fonts are only displayed as squares. I already tried 'sudo updmap'
and     sudo ln -s pdftex_ndl14.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
and   sudo ln -s pdftex_dl14.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
without success.

Help is very much appreciated.

Simon
On 28.12.2004, at 21:12, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> The TeX i-Package has seen a new release (somewhat earlier than
> planned after my accidental releae a few days ago and sthe following
> blocking of the repositories). This is a major milestone as it marks
> the move from a TeX Live 2003 structure to a different and
> incompatible TeX live 2004 structure. The TeX Live 2003 structure is
> still available for those that need it (though it is not 100% pure,
> but close enough) as an option during install. Also available, the
> first development snapshot for TeX Live 2005 with the latest pdfTeX.
>
> 	This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20b-rc5-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
>
> Anyway, there has been a fair bit of testing over the last months and
> it seems that it is stable enough. However, the switch from TeX Live
> 2003 to TeX Live 2004 may unearth problems on systems (e.g. if you
> rely on old style stuff in your ~/Library/texmf tree the reordering of
> that is still on my todo list. On the command line it goes like this:
>
> 	/usr/bin/ruby
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/scripts/context/ruby/textools.rb
> --fixtexmftrees --force ~/Library/texmf
>
> ).  Other hidden problems can also be unearthed by this upgrade, so be
> warned and there is no way around them if you want to remain at the
> forefront of TeX developments.
>
> In case of problems:
> 	- Send me a report of the install (view menu - report, recreate
> report, mail it to me)
> 	- Send me an example file that exhibits the problem and te log of the
> compile that has the problems
> 	- Tel me how you run TeX (e.g. TeXShop or command line etc.)
> 	- If you use the command line, make sure you send me the output of
> the 'env' command
>
> Most poblems will probably concerns font mappings (as this is what
> changed the most).
>
> I'll try to help as much as I can within limits of resources I must
> add. Do not update if you are finalizing your PhD thesis now. And make
> a backup of /usr/local/teTeX before you do.

> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

- --
Simon Spiegel