[OS X TeX] TeXniscope download question

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 03:09:00 EST 2004

Le 30 déc. 04, à 03:30, Aaron Jackson a écrit :

> Correction.  If you change the distiller from Ghostscript to Panther
> then Texshop can convert from dvi to pdf.  I suspect that is also what
> TeXniscope does.

This is probably because you haven't installed GhostScript (there is an
i-Installer i-Package for it). By default, when asked to open a .dvi
file, TeXShop is configured to launch dvips then the script
/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf, installed with GhostScript, to convert the .dvi
file to a .ps then .pdf file that is displayed. I'm not fully sure
about this, but I think that's what it does by invoking the script
altpdftex:

	/Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/altpdftex
	/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/simpdftex

Selecting Panther as the distiller only replaces GhostScript's
/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf by Panther's /usr/bin/pstopdf (try "man pstopdf"
in Terminal), but TeXShop's on-the-fly dvi-to-pdf conversion should
work without it, provided GhostScript has been installed.

HTH,

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>