[OS X TeX] kpsewhich .enc strange

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Thu Dec 30 12:27:43 EST 2004

I found the same problem in my fresh installation, getting the message:
Warning: pdflatex (file 8r.enc): cannot open encoding file for reading

Something similar happens when using dvips:
<texc.pro><8r.enc><texps.pro>.
Warning: module writet1 of dvips (file 8r.enc): cannot open encoding
file for reading
<pgmr8a.pfb>[1]

This does not happen when using standard CM fonts. I just noticed it
with Adobe Garamond fonts I tried to install into teTeX, and I am not
100% sure that everything works fine with these newly added fonts
(although it should). However, something should be wrong, because

kpsewhich -progname=pdftex 8r.enc
or
kpsewhich -progname=dvips 8r.enc
both produce no result, i.e., 8r.enc is not in the search path. I
definitely don't know enough about fonts in LaTeX, but I guess this
might be one source of the problem.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>