[OS X TeX] Problem with dvips and shak(new)

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 31 22:34:37 EST 2004

On 12/31/04 5:31 PM, "Herb Schulz" <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> It's actually worse than I thought. It has nothing to do with pstricks. The
> same file that compiles fine under pdflatex gets the error above after the
> .dvi file is successfully created and dvips is trying to convert that into
> the .ps file using the altpdflatex ``engine.''
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Howdy,

Problem solved! The SkakNew.map file that came with the skaknew package for
the type1 skak fonts is messed up. It has lines that look like

SkakNew-Figurine SkakNew-Figurine <SkakNew-Figurine

When they should be like

SkakNew-Figurine SkakNew-Figurine <SkakNew-Figurine.pfb

Interestingly pdflatex has no problem with this while dvips dies looking for
the font file without the .fpb extension.

Of course, all the files have DOS line endings so there are extra blank
lines in the pdftex and dvips map files. Don't know if that had any effect
but I corrected that too.

Now it all works.

There is filter you can get that will translate a .pgn file into a .tex file
for use with the skak package. Pretty neat but I'm having some trouble with
comments. I guess I'll have to read the manual!

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>