[OS X TeX] Mathematical Pi Fonts

Ronald Bruck bruck at math.usc.edu
Mon Jul 12 00:57:18 EDT 2004

I've followed the suggestions for how to get the Lucida Bright math
fonts, MathTimes and MathTimes Plus, and they're now installed and
working on my G5 (OS X 10.3.4).  I also tried installing the Times
SC+OsF fonts, but they're not being used.

Now I want to try my Adobe Mathematical Pi fonts.  I bought the Apple
versions a couple of years ago, and I can add them to my Mac's regular
programs with no problem.  (Just double-click and install.)  Now I'd
like to extract the PFB files using something like the LCDF tools.

But they don't recognize the files.  (Something about no POST
resource.)  When I look at the creator/type codes, the seven supplied
files look like this:

Name                 Creator             Type
Mathematical Pi      DMOV                FFIL
MathePiFiv           ASPF                LWFN
MathePiFou           ASPF                LWFN
MathePiOne           ASPF                LWFN
MathePiSix           ASPF                LWFN
MathePiThr           ASPF                LWFN
MathePiTwo           ASPF                LWFN

Now as I understand it, an FFIL is associated with OpenType, and the
LWFN are "printer"
fonts.  When I do a hex dump of the files, they have only resource
forks (no data forks).
The first, Mathematical Pi, is pure binary; the others start off with
PostScript code (followed by binary), but not even the text is readable
since it's in the resource fork.

Does anybody have any idea how I can extract .pfb files from these?
Adobe now sells the Mathematical Pi font for $29, but it's now
OpenType, and while I'm tempted to just shell out the bucks (and buy
the Windows version, which might be easier to convert), I'm stubborn
about these things:  if I paid (and a lot more than $29, at the time!)
then I WANT MY PRODUCT.

Similarly, I'm not going to pay $99 for the Times fonts.  I have them
coming out the kazoo on my old Type Basics and Type On Call CD's, if I
can just find them...

--Ron Bruck