[OS X TeX] Intertext like command

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 13 21:23:01 EDT 2004

On 7/13/04 7:57 PM, "Alain Schremmer" <Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net> wrote:

> More tribulations of a T(eX)I(nstall)C(hallenged).
>
> (1) I looked in" /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/mdwtools/"
> . Amazing how much stuff there is that far down. It's like in a SciFi
> story. (And I, a neophyte, was expected to go and look?)

Howdy,

Most of the doc files for latex packages can be accessed through
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/ or the
.../texmf.gwtex/doc/latex/ or .../texmf.local/doc/latex/...

> (2) I found the .dvi files. I copied them to the desktop. Since I
> didn't understand what "dropping the copies onto TeXShop for conversion
> to .pdf" meant and after a couple of hapless manoeuvers, just to see
> what would happen, I double-clicked on the first one. And, why not, I
> clicked on Typeset in this blank, white page that was sitting there and
> of course nothing happened. But while I was considering my options,
> there popped up the pdf. More and more amazing!

Just click and hold on the document icon and drag it onto the TeXShop icon.
Then you've got to wait (with no obvious thing happening, Sigh...) and the
pdf ``just appears.''

> (3) Now, I didn't know I already had these mdwtools. (How would I? In
> fact, before I went for the dvi files, I had checked i-Installer but
> couldn't see that "Gerben adds them to his distribution".)

The easiest thing to do is try to include the package you want and see if
you get an error. It's scary to do that at first but nothing is going to
break if it isn't there, you'll just get an error message and processing
will stop.

> Indeed, yesterday, I had downloaded the mdwTools from CTAN (but I had
> only been able to get one .pdf. I forget why.)  But I had created the
> .sty files and put them in My/Library/texmf/tex/latex.
>
> And here is my question. How come I already had the mdwTools but the
> .sty files were not already in My/Library/texmf/tex/latex before I put
> them in?

That's because the mdwtools package files are not in YOUR texmf tree but in
the texmf.textex branch of the tree; i.e., they are part of the teTeX
distribution that gwTeX includes.

> Does this mean that I have other stuff that I am not aware of and that
> I have to do something to somehow "activate" them? Where can I find
> this type of instruction?

Probably.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)