Writing in Hindi and other scripts (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Installing CJK)

Thomas Schröder hydrochlorix at gmx.net
Thu Jul 15 10:24:57 EDT 2004

Hi Jonathan,

Am 15.07.2004 um 15:00 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> I wonder if this procedure is really adequate; I don't see where in
> this solution there will be any mechanism to deal with the
> complex-rendering requirements of Devanagari -- reordering of the
> short-i vowel, formation of half forms and conjuncts, formation and
> positioning of reph, etc.

Well, if Unicode can do it, so can this method because you type your
stuff with the Devanagari keyboard layout. Right?

> (Similar comments would apply to using the Titus font for other
> scripts such as Arabic.)

My concern was, wether the Titus font could do all the things you could
do with the Devanagari keyboard layout and furthermore wether you were
really able to do everything necessary with the layout.

> Another option might be to use XeTeX, which would allow you to
> directly use the Devanagari MT font that ships with OS X, with Unicode
> source text; this takes care of the character-to-glyph rendering
> process for you.

I know, but I wanted to do this with normal pdflatex because if I
understand this correctly, then XeTeX is OS-X-only, at least at the
moment.

I thought, let's see if it can be done in principle and when you know a
little more Hindi you can check if it can do everything you need :-)

In the meantime, this might be useful for someone who just wants to
install a Unicode TrueType font like Titus or Cyberbit and I thought
before I forget how I did all this I better write it down and share it
:-)

Bye, Thomas