[OS X TeX] FAQ or Archive

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Thu Jul 15 15:29:13 EDT 2004

I don't think it is a "small point" but I don't think it is a matter of
"laziness" but, rather, one of inhibition.
Lacking familiarity with the medium, I have no suggestion as to what is
to be done. At this point, I wouldn't even venture a comment. I will
only say that it would be nice if something were done to alleviate as
much as possible the troubles beginners have.
Indeed:
(1) As I have written a few weeks ago, a lot of people will NEED to use
LaTeX.
(2) As someone used to having to deal with so-called math-anxiety (no
such thing of course, just plain anxiety, mostly caused by
authoritarian show and tell and drill), I know the extent to which much
anxiety will hinder learning.
(3) I can personally testify to the above. For instance, I never
thought, until told, that I could look for packages on Google.

And for instance, from my corner, how do you persuade a woman that,
yes, she can (re)create what she needs in mathematics rather than to
rely on being "shown how to do it" when she has been told all her life
that etc etc.?
Most of the time, she will not see the "obvious" way out of a
difficulty because she will have already decided that she is
overwhelmed.
Of course, this also applies to men but, in their case, the
conditioning indoctrination is less blatant.

Regards
--schremmer