[OS X TeX] Lyris List Manager?

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 03:45:01 EDT 2004

Hi Bruno,

On 28/07/2004, at 5:03 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Is it just me, or have other posters to this list received in the last
> few days, shortly after posting, a message from a "Lyris ListManager",
> with subject "re: your email message" and content:
>

> The following lines in your email message did not appear to be
> Lyris ListManager commands and were skipped:
>
>> [...]
>
> This email message is simply a notification of how Lyris ListManager
> understood
> your email message.  If you want to resend your commands, send
> them to lyris at groups.ittoolbox.com

I get messages like this frequently, from various email lists
of which I am *not* a member.

Here's one, from a few days ago:

>> Your mail to 'ko' with the subject
>>
>>     Vyyajsmjnmt
>>
>> Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
>>
>> The reason it is being held:
>>
>>     Post by non-member to a members-only list
>>
>> Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
>> notification of the moderator's decision.

and part of another that came this morning:

>> Your message was missing suitable identifying information and could
>> not be
>> automatically parsed and properly routed. Your message will not be
>> read here
>> unless you add that information and resend.
>>
>> Help texts are available via the WorldWideWeb at
>> http://arXiv.org/help ,
>> and many questions (e.g., regarding making submissions) are answered
>> there.

Of course I sent no message to these legitimate sites, to trigger
these responses.

Someone is sending out spam, or virus-carrying messages, spoofing my
email
address as the sender. I'm an easy target for spoofing, since my address
can be found in many, many places on the web; e.g. any site constructed
using LaTeX2HTML, from 1997 versions onwards.

There's nothing that I can do to stop this kind of action, but the
secondary effect is that I receive lots of rejection notices for email
that I've not sent, to lists to which I'm not subscribed, or to people
whom I do not know (and even some to people that I *do* know!).
The latter type come from virus detectors finding a bad attachment
in these bogus emails.

Thank goodness for spam/virus filters --- but since a rejection message
may actually be legitimate, I tend to let these through and trash them
manually.

BTW, yesterday I got a large increase in spam/junk getting through the
filters. This included several messages of a type that I'd not seen
previously. More of these came today.

Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in junk emails ?

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>