[OS X TeX] Re: Hoefler...again

Casper Lassenius Casper.Lassenius at iki.fi
Thu Jul 29 05:44:27 EDT 2004

>> b) The line start and ending swashes in the italic fonts are turned on
>> by
>> default. These get activated when using \emph{}, which, at least for
>> me, led
>> to quite silly looking text. I turned them off by using
>>
>> \DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefler}{m}{it}%
>>        {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Italic:Smart\space
>> Swashes=!Line\space
>> Final\space Swashes,!Line\space Initial\space Swashes"}{}
>>
>> instead of the declaration Bruno Voisin provided.
>
> Indeed! I do not know typography well enough to understand all these
> features, and I do not have time to experiment with them. My example
> was focused on how to (by adding quotes "" and explicit \space
> commands) it is possible to use OS X fonts, as allowed by XeTeX, in
> LaTeX's Font Selection Scheme.
Thanks for the very nice example, it got me jumpstarted! At some point in
time, we should perhaps consider making packages with good font
combinations, the same way there are for postscript fonts.

> Did you get XeTeX's sample file archive, from XeTeX's download page? It
> has extremely useful examples in it, and XeTeX-notes.tex is the closest
> to a XeTeX's manual for the moment. (Beware, most of the files need to
> be processed with plain TeX, not LaTeX.)
Thanks, I did. Nice examples indeed.

> For example, processing AAT-info.tex with \fontname defined as Hoefler
> Text Italic will tell you all the available features for this font, and
> also that Line Initial Swashes and Line Final Swashes are on by
> default. But this is probably what you did, since otherwise how would
> you know the existence of these features and their precise syntax?
> (BTW, where did you see the syntax =! for disabling a feature? I wasn't
> aware of it.)
Found it in the XeTeX mailing list archives, when considering posting a
question. Turns out you could not find it in the examples. Perhaps worth
adding?

Casper.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>