[OS X TeX] LaTeX macro question

Thomas A.Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sat Jul 31 17:12:41 EDT 2004

OK, this is not strictly a TeX on Mac OS X question, but maybe some of
the LaTeX wizards on the list can help me (usually, I'm a ConTeXt
user). I was trying to write a very simple LaTeX package that would
help me typeset some parts of my document in a special font: \Mf{blah}
should be set in a special symbol font. So I had to define the command
\Mf. I succeeded with some low-level TeX-stuff:

\def\Mf#1{%
   \begingroup
     \fontfamily{newfont}\selectfont#1%
     \endgroup
}

But I had the vague impression that it would be better to do this the
LaTeX way, i.e., with \newcommand etc. I searched the Companion 2nd
edition in vain, and no matter what I tried, LaTeX would never return
to the roman default font after the closing braces. I'm sure it must be
something embarrassing and obvious; could anybody give me a pointer?
Thanks so much!

Thomas

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>