[OS X TeX] Installing packages

Stephen Addison saddison at mail.uca.edu
Fri Jun 4 15:48:54 EDT 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 2:22 PM, William F. Adams wrote:
>> ort dwindles.
>
> Are there tools for Mac OS X to open up .cab files?
>
> If so, it seems to me that we could just vampire off of the MikTeX
> setup (download the .cab, open it up, convert the line endings, put
> things in the appropriate places et voila!

When I switched to a MAC a couple of years ago, I bought virtual PC
specifically to run MikTeX/Winedt, as I thought I couldn't live without
it.  After discovering GWTeX and TeXShop, since there were a variety of
packages that I wanted, I unpacked the Cab files, and dragged the
results to my library folder and ran Latex on them.  They worked fine,
I didn't have to do anything to the line endings.  Since I'm now on a
G5 and don't have virtual PC running I can't check, but my impression
was that the files already had unix line endings.  I know for sure that
Winedt can work with unix files - it just tells you that it is when
exchanging files from collaborators on Linux machines.

The question is how many of the packages are needed - I'd always
installed all available, but now find that the packages in GWTeX are
fine for most purposes.  I have installed less than 20 additionals -
and most of them are for journals and conferences that change format
frequently anyway.

Stephen R. Addison
Professor and Chair
Department of Physics and Astronomy