[OS X TeX] Installing packages

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 4 17:12:33 EDT 2004

On 4 jun 2004, at 21:35, Jon Breitenbucher wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2004, at 3:22 PM, William F. Adams wrote:
>
>> On Friday, June 4, 2004, at 11:47  AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>
>>> So, when I am going to look into this, I will only do it if it can
>>> be done without adding massive maintenance in yet another place
>>> (namely mine). If it can't be done without generating a situation
>>> where humans have to do synchronizing between several distributions,
>>> I will do it. That way you produce something that does not break as
>>> soon as people support dwindles.
>>
>> Are there tools for Mac OS X to open up .cab files?
>>
>> If so, it seems to me that we could just vampire off of the MikTeX
>> setup (download the .cab, open it up, convert the line endings, put
>> things in the appropriate places et voila!
>
> I believe that StuffItExpander will expand cab files. I can try this
> when I get home or someone else can give it a shot.

Stuffit is the worst possible solution: when expanding .cab files, it
doesn't handle subdirectories correctly (Instead of creating
directories, it creates file-names with the '\' in them).

The tool that Joe mentioned (http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php)
seems to be better, and it is easier to integrate with a GUI package
manager.

Integrating with the MikTeX work seems a logical route, it is after all
a much larger community.

Maarten