[OS X TeX] Citing using harvard.sty

Scott Condie ssc37 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 8 13:32:53 EDT 2004

Hello,

I have a question about bibtex and latex that I hope is not too trivial.  I
can't seem to find an answer on any of the FAQs that I have consulted so I
will ask it here.  Since I have no idea what the I problem is I'll give you
the whole thing (sorry about the length).

I have Gerben Wierda's distribution of teTeX installed on 10.2.8.  A journal
to which I would like to submit requires I use a particular bibliography
style which in turn uses the harvard.sty style file.  I have put these files
in the folders

~/Library/texmf/tex/bibtex/bst/econometrica.bst (this is the bibstyle file
obvioiusly)

~/Library/texmf/tex/bibtex/harvard.sty

When I run pdflatex after having compiled the bibliography (which goes
smoothly) I get the error

! Undefined control sequence.
l.16 \harvarditem
                 [Blume and Easley]{Blume and
Easley}{1992}{blume/easley:jet...
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have ...

For every citation in the paper.

It appears the \harvarditem is undefined.  How do I make it recognize this
control sequence?

Thanks for your help!
Scott