[OS X TeX] panther

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jun 11 09:04:48 EDT 2004

Le 11 juin 04, à 14:27, Mauro Cereda a écrit :

> I apologize, sure somebody has had my same trouble, but my research on
> digest didn't found matches. I've just installed MacOsX 10.3.2 and
> consequently TeXshop 1.34. Well, as soon as I try to compile a
> document I receive the message :
>
> /usr/local/tetex/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current doesn't exist.
> Perhaps one of the specified paths not correct (just translated from
> italian)

First, had you installed TeX itself, before Panther? TeXShop is a
front-end, building behind the scene on TeX which is a command-line
program living in /Library/teTeX/ (a symbolic link, or alias to
simplify, to /usr/local/teTeX/ -- notice the uppercase letters, they
are significant, and I notice your message above doesn't have them).
TeX can be installed with i-Installer <http://www.rna.nl/tex.html>.

In case you did install TeX before Panther, did you do an Archive &
Install, or an Update? If you did Archive & Install, the whole TeX
directory has been moved together with you former OS X to /Previous
Systems/Previous System 1/ where it is invisible, living in /Previous
Systems/Previous System 1/usr/local/teTeX/. There TeXShop can't find
it.

You can then move the whole TeX tree back to /usr/local/teTeX/ (I
wouldn't advise it, as you might get a system with incorrect ownerships
and permissions), or re-install TeX with i-Installer (that's what I'd
advise).

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin