[OS X TeX] line numbering, referencing figures and tables

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sat Jun 12 10:06:26 EDT 2004

Thank you list, as usual answers come quickly for my questions in
message titled "memoir class, Table questions, position of floats, line
numbering"

I found solutions to most of my questions, although some of them will
possibly require installing packages that I am not sure can be
installed with iInstaller (for instance the solutions for line
numbering at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=linenos

I hope I'll succeed in installing them!

Anyhow, I said that a visual interface to table making was better. I
found ways to ease the pain a bit (search and replace of tabs with &
(this can be done in TeXShop) and of end of lines by \\+end of line
(this one I could not do in TeXShop, as I did not know how to tell it
to search for end of lines. I use TextWrangler). But the merging of
cells and rows is what takes me time. It is as easy to remove a row (I
comment it out) in TeXShop as in a wysiwyg table editor, but you cannot
beat the wysiwyg interface if you quickly want to remove a column!

Still, I'm having fun so far, and am impressed with the output.

I'd like to make a wish for an improvement in TeXShop (unless it is
there and I have not found it). Does the author visit this list, or
should I also contact him?

Here it is. My document is only 15 pages so far, but I already find it
difficult to type references to my tables and figures. I guess I'll be
able to manage by using the split pane feature of TeXShop, but what
would be very nice would be a new feature that would work like
Etiquette (I guess it is Labels on the English version? Anyway it is a
button that is just right of the Macro button. This new button would be
called Ref, and would track automatically the labels in a document
(just as Etiquette automatically tracks all the headings and manually
inserted markers (those that begin with %: ). When clicking on this
button, a list of available labels would appear, a bit like when
inserting a reference to a table or a figure in Word gives you a list
of available tables and figures to choose from. Selecting an entry
would automatically put ~\ref{the_chosen_label} in the text.

I'd be delighted to have this feature, but I dare asking for more! It
would be nice if when you are typing, you could control-click and have
a TeXShop contextual menu appear. It could have (for example) 3 entries
with their own sub-entries: macros (to insert these shortcuts without
having to go to the top of the window), etiquettes (to quickly move
somewhere else) and Ref (to quickly make a reference to one of a list
of available tables and figures).

Bye,

Denis Chabot