[OS X TeX] mediaeval default?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 09:17:17 EDT 2004

Le 14 juin 04, à 14:08, Hans van Maanen a écrit :

> And it also means I'd have to convert my documents, and learn Tex and
> Xetex, as far as I can tell --- I only just got used to Latex! Why oh
> why is there no easy way to use Hoefler Text in TexShop...

Things are not so bad :-)

Once XeTeX is installed (there are both a .pkg file and an i-Package
available for this -- choose either of the two --, and which work
out-of-the-box), you just have to convert your LaTeX .tex file to UTF-8
using, for example, Cyclone <http://free.abracode.com/cyclone/> (this
may even be unnecessary if your document doesn't include any accent or
special character), and then to put in the preamble something like:

\DeclareFontFamily{U}{hoefl}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{n}%
   {<-> "Hoefler\space Text"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{it}%
   {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{bx}{n}%
   {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{b}{n}%
   {<-> ssub * hoefl/bx/n}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{bx}{it}%
   {<-> "Hoefler\space Text\space Black\space Italic"}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{b}{it}%
   {<-> ssub * hoefl/bx/it}{}
\DeclareFontShape{U}{hoefl}{m}{sc}%
   {<-> "Hoefler\space Text:Letter\space Case=Small\space Caps"}{}
\renewcommand{\encodingdefault}{U}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{hoefl}
\normalfont\selectfont

Not that bad, really! (And, I forgot to add, XeTeX is a command line
program which is operated from within TeXShop -- or iTeXMac --, just
like pdfTeX or TeX + Ghostscript.)

The only thing you've got to get accustomed to is entering characters
in Unicode directly whenever possible, for example "–" (Alt-Shift-- on
my French keyboard) instead of "--", "—" (Alt-- on my keyboard) instead
of "---", etc.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin