[OS X TeX] Fourier & SanSerif & Typewriter Fonts

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jun 14 10:36:50 EDT 2004

On 6/14/04 4:46 AM, "Will Robertson" <will at mecheng.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> On 13 Jun 2004, at 8:26 AM, Herb Schulz wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I don't know why I didn't notice this before but the fourier package
>> makes
>> the default serif font utopia (scaled to be approximately the same
>> size a CM
>> at 10pt - too bad!) and adds math and symbol fonts that look good with
>> the
>> scaled utopia but DOESN'T do anything about the sans serif and
>> typewriter
>> fonts. Since fourier uses T1 encoding it appears that it is getting
>> the sf
>> and tt fonts from the CMSuper collection I have. What happens if you
>> don't
>> have that?
>
> Bitmap fonts are substituted in my case. Yuck!
> Good thinking with using lmss & lmtt instead.

Truly YUCK! I'm guessing it's the EC font that is being built and the
bitmaps used since, I believe, the CMSuper are type1 substitutes for the EC.

>> I only wish I knew of a better fit since both the sf and tt fonts in
>> CM and
>> latin modern (they look essentially identical to me) look a bit too
>> large
>> with the (scaled) utopia used with fourier.
>
> Really? I find the x-heights of the lm fonts much too small without the
> scaling. I reckon Utopia could be scaled *down* a little bit more
> actually (only a fraction, mind).
>
> Have you tried comparing the fonts side by side on the same line?

I ran

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fourier}
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{lmss}
\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{lmtt}

\newcommand{\cmpl}[1]{#1\textsf{#1}\texttt{#1} }

\begin{document}

\cmpl{A}\cmpl{B}\cmpl{C}\cmpl{D}\cmpl{E}\cmpl{F}\cmpl{G}\cmpl{H}\cmpl{I}
\cmpl{J}\cmpl{K}\cmpl{L}\cmpl{M}\cmpl{N}\cmpl{O}\cmpl{P}\cmpl{Q}\cmpl{R}
\cmpl{S}\cmpl{T}\cmpl{U}\cmpl{V}\cmpl{W}\cmpl{X}\cmpl{Y}\cmpl{Z}\cmpl{a}
\cmpl{b}\cmpl{c}\cmpl{d}\cmpl{e}\cmpl{f}\cmpl{g}\cmpl{h}\cmpl{i}\cmpl{j}
\cmpl{k}\cmpl{l}\cmpl{m}\cmpl{n}\cmpl{o}\cmpl{p}\cmpl{q}\cmpl{r}\cmpl{s}
\cmpl{t}\cmpl{u}\cmpl{v}\cmpl{w}\cmpl{x}\cmpl{y}\cmpl{z}!

\end{document}

through pdflatex and, sure enough, the lowercase letter look fine, but the
uppercase sf look too tall while the uppercase tt letters look a tiny bit
too small!

> Anyway, if you want utopia full-size, then you can just call the utopia
> package after you have the fourier one.

The full size utopia is way too large to go with the rest of fourier and the
latin modern sf and tt. What I think I'd like is a very slightly smaller
latin modern sf; not so much that the lowercase looks too small and the
uppercase doesn't appear too large.

Actually, I'd really like to know if anyone has any experience with a sans
serif font that would go along with utopia well. If I could figure out how
to scale that I'd be happy with using fourier as my second choice after
Lucida Bright.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)