[OS X TeX] mediaeval default?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 16:06:13 EDT 2004

Le 14 juin 04, à 20:51, Hans van Maanen a écrit :

> One more thing, as the inspector would say. It looks as if, using this
> arrangement, things like --- and ' and ` and \" do not expand. Is that
> correct, or is there some other pref I have to change?

No, that's correct, you've got to go Unicode all the way, i.e. replace
`' by ‘’ and ``'' by “”, and \"a by ä, --- by —, etc. The good side of
it is that TeX becomes more Mac-friendly, the bad side is that you
loose compatibility with TeX on other platforms, so that collaborative
work may become problematic.

A more detailed answer to practically the same question, that I had
asked a few days ago on the XeTeX mailing list, was provided by XeTeX's
developer <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2004-June/000360.html>. (AAT
= Apple Advanced Typography; OT = OpenType. Hoefler Text is an AAT
font, I think.)

Glad it helped!

Bruno