[OS X TeX] Beginner's problem with TeXShop and .eps figures

Peter C. Young p.young at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 19:43:09 EDT 2004

I am a relative beginner in the art of Latex but I have used it in
Textures for some time and found Textures to be a very well designed
and useful implementation of Latex for a mathematically inclined
scientist like me. However, I have been a little disappointed that
BlueSky have not yet produced a native OSX version of Textures. As a
result, I was attracted by references to TeXShop in tidbits-talk and
downloaded all the the software suggested necessary by the

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html

web-site (a rather longer process than I had expected). In order to
test out TeXShop I then opened a large co-authored paper that was
prepared in Textures but has also compiled without difficulty or
changes in the PC-based Latex compiler of my co-author. I was
impressed by the look and feel of TeXShop but, to my surprise, the
paper did not compile fully in TeXShop, with the console informing me
that that it could not typeset an \includegraphics.. figure
instruction because of

!Latex Error: unknown graphics extension: .eps.

I got no complaint if I changed this to a \epsfxsize.. instruction
but no figures appeared in the output despite this.

Since I cannot believe that a Latex compiler is unable to recognize
an .eps extension and process a standard figure instruction
containing this, I must be doing something wrong. I would be most
grateful, therefore, if one of the TeXShop/Latex experts on the
mailing list could advise me on what I need to do to overcome this
difficulty? Perhaps I have to download still more software?

Peter Young
--
        Centre for Research on Environmental Systems and Statistics
                     CRESearch  LANCASTER UNIVERSITY
      Lancaster LA1 4YQ, U.K             e-mail: p.young at lancaster.ac.uk

            WWW pages: for information on the CAPTAIN Matlab Toolbox
		      and latest paper downloads, visit
                   http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/cres/systems.html

         ** home phone number: +1524 33558: messages can ALWAYS be left
		here and THIS IS PREFERABLE FROM MY STANDPOINT

          I try to respond to  messages in reasonable time, so please
	    try again if you do not get an answer within one week